Our office remains closed due to the COVID-19 pandemic

Gifts in Wills

Home / Support the DLS / Gifts in Wills

The Disability Law Service relies on the generosity of our supporters to help us to carry out our vital work. Gifts left in wills help to fund the legal representation and advice services we provide to disabled people and their families. By leaving a gift in your Will, you will be helping us to continue to support people those in need; to help them achieve justice; and to end injustices within the law.

Any gift you can give will be gratefully received and you can be assured that you will be leaving a long-term legacy to continue to provide services to people in need, such as our helpline and case work, as well as help us achieve our goal to create a fairer society.

How to include the Disability Law Service in your Will

To give a gift to the Disability Law Service in your Will, you will need our address and charity registration number:

  • Address: Disability Law Service, The Foundry, 17 Oval Way, London, SE11 5RR
  • Charity registration number: 280805

Types of gifts you can include in your Will

There are lots of ways you can leave a gift to the Disability Law Service in your Will.

A share of your estate

After taking care of your friends and family, you can leave what’s left (or a percentage of what’s left) to the Disability Law Service in your Will. This gift is also known as a residuary gift and it will keep its value over the time before your death.

A cash gift

You can also leave a fixed amount of money to the Disability Law Service in your Will. This is also known as a pecuniary gift.

Because of inflation, the value of a fixed cash gift will decrease over time, so you may want to review cash gifts from time to time. Alternatively, you can ask your solicitor about linking your cash gifts to the Retail Price Index (RPI), so they maintain their value.

A gift in kind

You may choose to leave specific gifts or possessions to us in your Will, like property, a car, shares, jewellery, or furniture.

In a trust

You can also set aside a sum in your Will which is left in a trust fund and given to the Disability Law Service when the term of the trust fund ends. You can also do this in the deed of any trust you make in your lifetime.

Amending an existing Will

It is important to review an existing Will regularly to ensure it continues to reflect your circumstances and wishes. If you already have a Will and would like to add a gift to the Disability Law Service, you may be able to add a simple form, known as a codicil, to your existing Will.

Remember a Charity has produced a useful guide to making a Will and a guide on how to leave a gift in your Will.

We recommend you consult your solicitor or a legal professional and seek professional advice when making or updating your Will.