Our office remains closed due to the COVID-19 pandemic


What is housing law?

Housing law includes a range of landlord and tenant issues, covering various areas of law from criminal damage to breach of tenancy agreements.

We believe that everyone should have a decent home to live in. Disabled people in particular need homes that have been adapted to accommodate their disability and allow them to live in a home comfortably.

We fight to prevent unfair evictions and homelessness as well as help people who are living in unsafe and unhealthy homes seek repairs and compensation against Local Authorities, Housing Associations/Trusts, or private landlords.

How we can help

The expert team at the Disability Law Service has experience providing community care legal advice and representation to disabled people, their carers and their family members. We can advise on all areas of community care law including:

Please remember that community care not only involves care that is provided by Local Authorities, but also care provided by the NHS through Continuing Health Care. Some of the types of problems that we can provide assistance or advice on are available in our case examples page.

What happens next?

We can provide advice over the phone or in writing. If your particular circumstances warrant further advice or assistance, then we may be able to formally take a case on under the Legal Aid Agency’s Legal Help scheme.

If you’re not sure if you are eligible for Legal Aid, or if you are not sure if your issue falls within the areas that are covered by Legal Aid, then please contact us by phone or email us directly at housing@dls.org.uk. Alternatively, you can contact us via our online contact form.

If you’re not eligible for Legal Aid, or if your housing issue does not come within the matters listed above, we can offer limited assistance and advice through our helpline.

In order for us to take on a case under the Legal Help scheme, you must be financially eligible for Legal Help. You can also contact the Civil Legal Advice (CLA) who can advise you on whether your matter falls within the legal aid coverage.

Under the Legal Help scheme, we are able to give general advice, correspond with third parties, assist in making complaints to Local Authorities and/or CCGs, assist with complaints to the Local Government and/or Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsmen, and access information.